Neck Lift Surgery
Neck lift surgery: The neck is one of the first places where shows our age. Sagging skin, unattractive banding, fatty jowls make us look older than we feel. So a neck lift may be a good solution if you want to get rid of the unpleasant look.
What is a Neck Lift?
Neck lift, or lower rhytidectomy, is a surgical procedure that improves visible signs of aging in the jawline and neck by tightening the skin and underlying neck muscles and improving the contour of the jawline. It is done by highly skillful Iranian surgeons on patients from all over the world.
The neck lift surgery is technically lower rhytidectomy platysmaplasty or cervicoplasty, depending on the type of the procedure (explained below). It can be done as a stand-alone procedure or in conjunction with other procedures, especially facelift.
What Neck Lift Surgery Can Treat
- Excess fat and sagging skin in the lower face that creates jowls
- Excess fatty deposits under the chin (double chin)
- Loose neck skin
- Neck wattle and neck bands, which creates turkey neck
Neck Lift Surgery Techniques and Options
Depending on the type of problem an individual suffer from, one of the neck lift surgery options below, or a combination of them, are recommended by the surgeon.
Neck liposuction is a procedure whereby excess fat deposits are removed from the neck area. It is carried out to give the person a slimmer, more graceful neck by making one or two incisions under the chin or behind the ears. Neck liposuction is ideal for patients who still have relatively elastic or firm skin and do not need excess skin removed.
Neck Liposuction takes approximately 30 minutes and is often performed under local anesthesia. Patients normally need to wear a special chin strap for three to four days after the surgery. They are often able to return to work in one week. During the first 10-14 days after neck liposuction, a mild to moderate amount of bruising is to be expected.
A platysmaplasty is part of a cervicoplasty and it essentially takes the platysma muscle and tightens it. As people age, this muscle starts to lose its elasticity and strength, causing neck bands and sagging skin. This condition is known as ‘turkey neck’.
In a platysmaplasty procedure, the platysma muscles are tightened and sutured together to reduce the appearance of vertical neck bands, double chin, sagging neck skin, or fatty jowls in the neck and chin area. It is common for a platysmaplasty to be combined with a cervicoplasty to remove excess skin and fat.
Cervicoplasty is another term used to refer to a neck lift procedure. In general, cervicoplasty is intended to treat necks with wrinkles, neck bands, and sagging skin. Some people associate removal of lax skin on the neck to cervicoplasty, and tightening of neck muscles to platysmaplasty. Both of these techniques are often done in a neck lift procedure. Neck liposuction can also be done in conjunction with them to achieve the most ideal outcome.
Platysmaplasty and cervicoplasty are done through incisions made around the ear and sometimes a third incision under the chin. The surgery is usually done under general anesthesia and takes 2 to 4 hours.
How to Prepare for Neck Lift Surgery
Choosing the right surgeon with practical experience in neck lift surgery is the first important point. You should be in a good general health and do not smoke for a neck lift. Also, answer any questions you may have, clearly define your goals, and take a detailed medical history.
Consider the following recommendations for a successful neck lift surgery:
- Stop smoking at least three weeks prior to and three weeks after your surgery to promote better healing (nicotine in the tobacco inhibits blood circulation, and thus slows the healing process).
- Avoid taking blood-thinning medications, such as aspirin and vitamin E, (they increase bleeding during the surgery and might cause post-operative complications).
- Eating pineapple and its core 3 days before and 7 days after the procedure helps reduce bruising.
- You are not allowed any food nor liquid after midnight the day before your surgery (no coffee, no water, no tea, no breakfast, etc.).
- Avoid alcohol for a minimum of 72 hours prior to your procedure to minimize bruising and bleeding.
- Do not engage in intense physical activities the day before surgery to prevent dehydration.
- Arrange for someone to drive you home after surgery and take care of you during the first few nights after surgery.
- Since most patients cannot shower or bathe immediately after surgery take a shower and wash your hair as close before your surgery as possible.
- Dress Comfortably on the day of surgery. Shirts that can be buttoned or zipped up are preferred.
- Do not wear any makeup, jewelry, cosmetic creams, sunscreen, hair products, deodorant, and remove all piercings on the day of surgery.
Your Home Recovery Area Should Include:
- Ice packs
- Gauze and towels
- Supply of comfortable, loose clothing
- Antibacterial ointment for incision sites
- Pillows which will allow you to keep your head in a comfortable position
- Someone who can stay with you at least the first day after surgery
Neck lift Surgery Recovery
During your recovery from neck lift surgery, you should wear a compression garment for a few days to minimize swelling and bruising. It can be a support for the neck and help you recover faster. A thin tube may be present to drain any excess blood or fluid that may collect under the skin.
There will be some swelling for a few weeks after a neck lift, but within one week, patients can see the initial results of their surgery. You should not apply ice to the neck as this can result in skin death. It is important to keep your head elevated above your heart to reduce swelling and to do not twist or bend your neck. Also, it is recommended to avoid physical activities for two weeks after surgery. If stiches need to be removed, you have to get it done within one week. In most cases, however, absorbable sutures are used that do not need to be removed.
Neck Lift Surgery in Iran
Nowadays, people are more interested in getting their Cosmetic procedures, including neck lift surgery, abroad. Because costs of cosmetic surgeries in many parts of the world are so high. If you are looking for a budget neck lift procedure with a qualified surgeon, Iran is one of the best countries for you. You can get rid of your turkey neck and improve your appearance with our all-expense neck lift trip to Iran.
The affordable prices of neck lift surgery in Iran, as well as the best hospitals, clinics and doctors have made the country a great destination for medical tourists. Iranian plastic surgeons performing neck lift have graduated from top medical schools and have passed advance maxillofacial and plastic surgery fellowships at prestigious universities and hospitals. Neck lift surgery in Iran is offered by beauty clinics and hospitals accredited by the Ministry of Health and Medical Education.
Post-Operative Instructions for Neck Lift Surgery
- Have someone drive you home after surgery and help you at home for 1-2 days.
- Be sure to eat plenty of fruits and vegetables. The nutrients and vitamins will help speed up your recovery and will help alleviate post-op constipation.
- Keep incisions clean and inspect daily for signs of infection.
- Take pain medication as prescribed.
- Do not drink alcohol when taking pain medications.
- Do not smoke, because smoking delays healing and increases the risk of complications.
- Hair can generally be shampooed in 2-3 days.
- Start walking as soon as possible, this helps to reduce swelling and lowers the chance of blood clots.
- Return to work in approximately 10 days.
- Avoid exposing scars to sun for at least 12 months. If sun exposure is unavoidable, use a strong sunblock (SPF 30 or greater).
Neck Lift Cost in Iran
Several factors can affect the cost of neck lift surgery in Iran, including the type of surgery, doctor, and the clinic or hospital you want to get your procedure done at. Depending on these factors, a typical neck lift surgery costs between $2000 and $3500. This includes all related costs, such as anesthesia, clinic fee, medicine, and pre-operation tests. To make a comparison, a typical neck lift surgery in Australia ranges from $8000 to $1300.
Risks of Neck Lift Surgery
The risks of having neck lift surgery might include the following:
- Anaesthesia risks
- Facial asymmetry
- Nerve injury that could cause weakness of the lower lip which is rare
- Poor wound healing
- Prolonged swelling of the treated area
- Unfavorable scarring along the incision lines or where liposuction was used
- Skin irregularities and/or skin discoloration
- Skin loss or skin healing delays
- Sutures that might spontaneously surface through the skin, becoming visible or producing irritation and requiring removal
- Persistent pain or discomfort
- Rare risk of deep venous thrombosis with cardiac or pulmonary sequelae
Also, unsatisfactory results from any cosmetic procedure are a possible outcome. And given every patient is unique, some outcomes may require revision surgery or a combined approach to improve the appearance more significantly.