Lap Band Surgery in Iran
Lap band surgery in Iran: Lap band surgery, or gastric banding, is a surgical treatment for obesity that uses an adjustable ring, or gastric band, around the upper part of your stomach to restrict the amount of food you are able to eat. With the rise in obesity due to the change in people’s lifestyles, this surgery has become popular in both developed and developing countries. Laparoscopic adjustable gastric band is known to be the least dangerous method for fat loss among other surgeries. It can help patients receive long-term effect of weight loss.
Why Adjustable Gastric Band?
With industrialization and lifestyle changes, lack of sufficient physical activities results in obesity and other chronic diseases like bone and joint diseases, heart diseases, and type two diabetes. In addition, lack of self-confidence and depression are other negative effects of being fat. So, people unhappy with their weight are looking for possible ways to reach their desired weight.
This surgery is recommended when a patient suffers from type two diabetes or heart diseases because of being fat. Lap band surgery in Iran helps obese people control their appetite by keeping their stomach on a leash. So obese people can reach their desired weight and protect their bodies from different chronic diseases.
Who are Candidates for the Lap Band Surgery in Iran?
Lap band surgery in Iran is a good choice for those with a body mass index (BMI) of 35-40 or above, who have tried to lose weight in other ways without success. This surgery is also recommended in cases when there are potentially life-threatening weight-related health problems, such as diabetes, hypertension, heart disease, or sleep apnea.
The weight loss after surgery is guaranteed, but the rest of the story is totally up to you. If you are properly prepared to commit to healthy lifestyle changes and regular medical follow-up, as well as to participate in behavioral therapy, you are a good candidate for this surgery. So, you have to make sure that you will follow your surgeon’s recommendation, follow your diet, and exercise.
This weight loss surgery is not recommended for people with:
- uncontrolled psychiatric illness
- impaired ability to understand the risks and benefits, outcomes, alternatives, and lifestyle changes demanded
- current drug or alcohol abuse
WHAT TO DO BEFORE A LAPAROSCOPIC ADJUSTABLE GASTRIC BAND?
Some pre-op instructions for gastric band surgery are mentioned below:
- Do not eat or drink anything for the recommended time before your surgery.
- Make sure that the laparoscopic adjustable gastric band is the best option for you.
- Take a blood test based on your doctor’s instruction.
- Have both psychological and physical tests.
- Have an upper endoscopy of your stomach.
- Consult with a nutrition specialist and follow the diet given to you.
- Quit smoking a few months before surgery.
- If you misuse alcohol or medicine, stop it as soon as possible.
- Do not take any sort of medication especially blood-thinning medicines, including aspirin, two weeks before your surgery, unless your anesthesiologist or surgeon asks you to.
- Use low-calorie meals at least 14 days before your surgery.
- Make your liver smaller by losing some weight in order to have better and safer surgery.
HOW IS A LAPAROSCOPIC ADJUSTABLE GASTRIC BAND PERFORMED?
Gastric band surgery is performed under general anesthesia in an outpatient clinic. The procedure often takes 30 to 60 minutes. Most people can resume most normal activities within 2 days, but they may need to take a week off work.
During this weight-loss surgery, the surgeon makes 5 or 6 small and slight incisions in the upper part of the abdomen before laparoscopic instruments are introduced to the stomach. He/she then, places the adjustable gastric band, which is a soft silicone ring, at the upper part of the stomach. The band is tightened and locked to the top part of the stomach. This separates the stomach into two parts, with a very small upper pouch that communicates with the rest of the stomach through a channel created by the band. The small upper pouch limits the amount of food you can eat.
The next step would be locating a port under the skin of the belly via a soft tubing, which allows adjustment of the band’s tightness by inflating or deflating the balloon in the band. The next sessions after the surgery, your doctor injects saline into the tube in order to narrow your pouch and you will be able to eat less.
Lap Band Surgery in Iran Recovery and Aftercare
You will only need one night stay in the hospital. You must have an x-ray in the hospital to make sure of the location of the band. The first two weeks after your surgery, you can only drink clear liquids like black tea, water and juices. After your surgery, you generally won’t be allowed to eat for one to two days so that your stomach and digestive system can heal. After two weeks you can start eating pureed food. Then, you’ll follow a specific diet for about 12 weeks. The diet begins with liquids only, then progresses to ground-up or soft foods, and finally to regular foods.
After your body is healed, you have to change your eating habits. Consider what are listed below:
- Chew carefully.
- Never mix liquid and solid foods in a meal.
- Avoid swallowing big amount of food.
- Avoid fast food as much as you can.
- Try to take blood test every few months at least for a year after your surgery.
- Take daily multivitamins, a calcium-vitamin D, vitamin B12 or iron, or other medicines your doctor asks you to.
- Take small amount of meals in order to avoid vomiting.
- Do not neglect visiting your doctor and making sure of the location of your lap band.
What is a Lap Band Fill?
A lap band fill is the common term for gastric band adjustments. Once your surgery is performed, there is a period of healing that must take place before the first adjustment. Usually, the first fill takes place around 6 to 8 weeks and involves injecting saline into the port just under the skin. Prior to this, there may be little change in appetite. The adjustments may take place to enhance weight loss and to overcome unpleasant side effects, like cramping and nausea (in this latter case, the band is loosened).
Some Advantages of Lap Band Surgery in Iran
- It is a minimally invasive weight loss surgery.
- Less surgical complications than invasive procedures.
- It is reversible. It can be removed later without having made any alteration to the stomach if you don’t want to have it any longer.
- With the use of laparoscopy, there will be no need for large incisions. As a result, patients feel less pain.
- It is adjustable. During pregnancy, it can be loosened and after that, tightened again. So, it is a good option for women who want to get pregnant.
- No alteration occurs to the anatomy of the stomach.
- It costs less than gastric bypass surgery.
- Patients are less in need of nutrition supplements and medication.
Common Risks and Side Effects of Lap Band Surgery in Iran
As with any major surgery, lab band surgery poses potential health risks. Every surgery may bring infection, bleeding or breathing problems. The specific potential risks related to lap band include:
- Movement of the band
- Gas embolism
- Anemia due to restriction in eating red meat
- Vomiting and pain if a patient does not follow the instructions and recommendation of their doctor
- Injury to different parts of the body including organs near the stomach, stomach wall, and major blood vessels
- Eroding of the band up to 1%
Why Lap Band Surgery in Iran?
Lap band surgery has its professionals as there are great surgeons in Iran for different operations. There are modern and well-equipped clinics offering gastric band surgery in different cities all around Iran, including Tehran, Shiraz, Isfahan, Tabriz, Mashhad, and Kish Island. So, people from all around the world can benefit from medical facilities and well-trained specialists in Iran at a low cost and with high quality.
How Much does a Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Band Cost in Iran?
Unlike other countries, lap band surgery is done at much more affordable prices in Iran with high quality. It is performed by highly qualified and well-skilled surgeons in some of the best hospitals and clinics of Tehran and other major cities across Iran. While an average gastric band surgery in Iran costs around $3,000, a similar procedure costs $15,000 in the US, $12,000 in the UK and $8,000 in India.
What Is Lap Band Revision Surgery?
If you have a lap band and you are not able to lose weight or keep it, you may need lap band revision surgery to replace or remove the device. The lap band device is designed to stay in place for life, so while most patients are able to achieve and maintain their weight loss goals, a small number of people do not lose much or gain weight.
Common Reasons for Lap Band Revision Surgery include:
- Slippage of the lap band (the band finds itself in an abnormal position over the stomach)
- Erosion of the band (having a band grow into the stomach) so that it no longer limits food intake.
- A stomach pouch that becomes stretched out due to over-eating or natural changes in stomach tissue
- An infection in the area of skin near the tubing
- Complications from a band that is too tight, such as stomach acid irritating the lower part of your throat (acid reflux), nausea, vomiting or difficulty swallowing
How is Lap Band Revision Surgery Performed?
Following thorough evaluation, your weight loss surgeon may decide to remove the lap band device to alleviate your symptoms and prevent further damage to esophageal motility. In some cases, band removal alone is not enough and additional surgeries may be required to fix the problem.
Here’s what to expect:
- Your surgeon gives you medicine to help you fall asleep and not feel any sensation during the procedure (general anesthesia).
- Then the surgeon makes up to 5 small incisions in your abdomen and places a camera and special instruments through these incisions to carry out the surgery.
- He or she removes the lap band, connective tubing and access port.
- If the lap band device has grown into the stomach tissue, the surgeon removes scar tissue and repairs damaged stomach tissue.
- It is possible to receive gastric bypass or gastric sleeve during the same procedure if you wish to switch to a different bariatric option. However, if there is a lot of scar tissue or damaged stomach tissue, the surgeon may wait until you have healed.
- The surgeon then completes the surgery by removing the instruments and camera and closing the incisions with stitches.
Once the band is removed, you will no longer feel full on small portions of food. That’s why it is recommend to replace the lap band with another bariatric treatment, such as gastric bypass or gastric sleeve.